The Norwegian Afghanistan Committee (NAC) supports the long-term interest of the Afghan people through solidarity and development work in the country, and creates knowledgeable and informed advocates for the people of Afghanistan in Norway. NAC is a member-based, non-governmental organization that has been in existence for over 30 years. With nearly 200 staff members, NAC works in 5 Afghan provinces, within the fields of health, education and natural resource management.
The Country Director provides overall leadership in the management, coordination, planning and development of NAC programs and projects in Afghanistan, in line with the NAC mandate, policies and strategy. The Country Director reports to the Secretary General in Oslo.
- Strategy and program design/development
- Supervision of the technical and finance/administration teams
- Personnel and organizational management and development
- Responsibility for the achievement of the program’s objectives, deliverables, and impact
- Good stewardship of the organization’s financial resources
- Coordination with national authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs
- Serves as the primary liaison to existing donors and partners, and takes the lead in identifying new potential donors/partners
- Responsible for the security and safety of NAC personnel
The Country Director should have a record of effective management, strong interpersonal and networking skills and excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- University degree in management, social science, international development or one of NAC’s core areas: public health, education or natural resource management. Master’s degree preferred.
- Senior-level experience designing, managing, and implementing large, complex development projects
- Familiarity with Scandinavian donor guidelines (preferred)
- Proven record of excellent management, leadership, and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and navigate politically sensitive terrain
- Experience working in conflict or post-conflict settings
- Knowledge of the political situation in Afghanistan and the region (preferred)
- Political, gender and cultural awareness
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Additional proficiency in Norwegian, Swedish or Danish preferred.
The Country Director will be based in Kabul, but will be required to travel to NACs field offices in Afghanistan on a regular basis and to Oslo periodically. The contract period is for two years with the possibility of extension. NAC offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Deadline for applications: 20.08.12. Please send your CV, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: email@example.com. Please include COUNTRY DIRECTOR APPLICATION in the subject line.
For further information about the position and the organization, see www.afghanistan.no or please call Secretary General Eric Ramirez-Ferrero at +47 46 76 49 90, or the chair of the board Hege Jacobsen at +47 95 08 39 53.